Saturday, August 1, 2020

All Day

Psalm 145:17-21 The LORD is just in all his ways, and kind in all his doings. 18 The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. 19 He fulfills the desire of all who fear him; he also hears their cry, and saves them. 20 The LORD watches over all who love him, but all the wicked he will destroy. 21 My mouth will speak the praise of the LORD, and all flesh will bless his holy name forever and ever.

I’m writing this during the pandemic of 2020. It’s beginning to appear that maybe we’ll come through it. Things are beginning to open up again. Folks are out and about these days. Most are wearing masks, though. A sign that not everything is the same. That normal has shifted. You’ll be a better judge of that from where you are. You can see what has changed, you are living the new normal. 

There are predictions aplenty. From the apocalyptic to the “it was just a bad cold.” And some are making their argument with some volume and passion. I don’t want to argue one way or the other, especially since you readers will have a better perspective on all of this from where you are. I just want to talk about one aspect for a moment. This work from home thing. This shelter in place. This being here with whoever is in the house all day long. In my case, just two of us. My wife of 40 years and me. Well, there’s also a three legged dog and two cats with personality to spare. But people wise, for months it’s just been the two of us. Kids are gone and on their own, trying to make it in a difficult economy. Just us. All day.  

Before you put words in my mouth, it’s been great. Really. We get along well, and have enjoyed one another’s company. We’ve learned even more how to anticipate one another, how to serve and care for one another, how to love.  

That’s what it’s about, isn’t it? That’s why the psalmist talks about the very nature of God so confidently. Because God is close, all day. From that closeness comes knowing and trusting and hoping. From that closeness comes a certainty. Of course it is still faith, we don’t know for sure. Just like I don’t always know what my wife will say or do, but I can guess. Out of love, I can guess really well. 

OK, sure, I get it wrong sometimes. Or because of my moods I forget to pay attention, forget to think of her rather than just me. It isn’t perfect, it isn’t paradise. Just like faith is not the same as knowing, and loving with my own will isn’t the same as loving with God’s will. Or Jesus’ will. Or the Spirit. But some days we get it right. Some days we are on track. And I believe it is because of the closeness. 

Sometimes, when things aren’t going so well, what we think we need is space. A little distance would be good. And perhaps there are times when that does give you a little bit of perspective. I value alone time as much as anyone, and probably more than most. But I can’t help but think that this forced closeness has been good for us. Good for me anyway. 

James says draw near to God and God will draw near to you. (James 4:8) It’s a promise, of sorts. But more a description of what happens. The only way to know someone, to know God is to draw near. You can’t know from a distance. Oh, you can know of, you can know about. But you can’t know. And even more, you can’t be known. Which is what we want, in the end, isn’t it? To be known. All day long.

Shalom, 
Derek 

No comments: