Saturday, January 7, 2017

A Bruised Reed

I just came from a difficult meeting.  Difficult in many ways: the subject was difficult, the implications of the subject were difficult, the decisions needed to be made are and will be difficult.  But perhaps worst of all for me was that implied message that it is all my fault.  That had I been better at my job, made better decisions, worked harder and longer and been ... well, a different person then we wouldn’t be in the position we are in right now.  

Now, I’ve done this enough to know that the others attending the meeting would have a different impression for the most part, and would tell me I’m overreacting.  But that’s what I heard.  No, that’s what I felt.  Like a weight pressing down on me.  But.  But.  I’m being overly dramatic.  Emotional.  And you don’t need that.  The church doesn’t need that.  So I’ve been told.  We don’t need passion, we need ideas.  Things to think about.  Nuggets of truth to contemplate.  And there is wisdom in that.  Paul says in Romans chapter 12, that we can be transformed by the renewing of our minds.  So let’s think. Not react.  Just consider.  Who are we supposed to be as the body of Christ?  As the community of faith?  What defines us?

Well, there are all kinds of things we could use to define the church.  Lots of models and concepts.  Lots of techniques and examples from the world of business and the consumer culture in which we live.  There is much to learn about what is successful, about what works.  Let’s be pragmatic, shall we?  We don’t need words from a source thousands of years old, do we?  We can find better ideas in the world around us.

Well, we can find ideas, but are they better?  If we decide to become like the rest of the world then have we surrendered what makes us who we are?  We might as well be any number of service organizations, or social clubs, many of which do good things and are getting people involved in service and interaction.  Or is there something unique that we are called to do and to be?  Is the church something different?  Something that just might not be that appealing on the surface, but bringing profound commitment on a deeper level?  Frankly, I’m wondering these days.  Maybe Isaiah can help us.

Isaiah 42:1-9 Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. 2 He will not cry or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street; 3 a bruised reed he will not break, and a dimly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice. 4 He will not grow faint or be crushed until he has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands wait for his teaching. 5 Thus says God, the LORD, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people upon it and spirit to those who walk in it: 6 I am the LORD, I have called you in righteousness, I have taken you by the hand and kept you; I have given you as a covenant to the people, a light to the nations, 7 to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness. 8 I am the LORD, that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to idols. 9 See, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth, I tell you of them.

The first question we have to consider from these words is who is he talking about?  Well, and who is “he”.  Isaiah and the Lord often get confused when reading these sixty-six chapters.  Is this Isaiah talking for himself or speaking for God, and did God say this through Isaiah or to Isaiah and does Isaiah insert himself in the conversation, adding to God’s words?  There is a lot to think about.  So much that we could easily avoid acting on the words while we try to parse every verb and decline every noun.  (OK, maybe it is the other way around?  Where are my grammarians when I need them?)

Instead, let’s decide.  Let’s decide that this word is indeed the Word of God.  Let’s decide that it carries a description of what it means to be the servant of God.  And like most of the hearers of Isaiah, that servant isn’t an individual, but is the nation, the people of God.  We would say this is first of all a description of the church - the church that God calls us to be.  

But wait, you scholars might say, isn’t this about Jesus?  Doesn’t he fulfill this passage?  It isn’t about us, it’s about Him.  And you’d be right!  And wrong at the same time.  It is indeed a description of Jesus.  All the Servant passages of Isaiah become the template by which we examine the life of the One we call Christ.  But that does not mean that we are off the hook.  It is still a description of us.  Not me, and not you.  But us. 

See Jesus could fulfill the call to be the perfect servant of God.  But you can’t.  And I can’t.  But we can.  Together we who are the church are called to live this out in real and dynamic ways.  Live what out? Bringing justice, but not whining about it all the time, not complaining about how hard it is - that’s the lifting up the voice in the street bit.  But, this justice bringing will be healing and not destroying.  We don’t have to tear down in order to build up.  We don’t have to stomp on those with whom we have an issue, we don’t have to put down those who we think are wrong, we don’t have to beat up on those who have been beaten.  That’s the kind of justice we are called to bring.  

That’s who we are when the Lord delights in us.  What an amazing idea.  We are, we can be, a delight to God.  Not just obedient, not just faithful, not just thoughtful and considered, but a delight.  Isaiah says God likes passion.  Likes enjoying us.  Life isn’t a class room, a test to be passed, it is a joy.  Jesus said I have come that you might have life and have it abundantly.  Abundantly.  

Then, and here’s the best part, God promises to help us do that.  Help us in bringing justice by healing and helping.  Help us in being a delight to God and to others.  God will take us by the hand, what a wonderful image, will take us by the hand and walk with us and show us what it really means to be free. To live free and set others free.  

Then the last verse.  Is it a threat?  Things will change.  Don’t cling too hard to the way it has always been, because how it has always been might not have been as great as we remember.  Instead look for the new.  For the opportunity to serve in new and deeper and more joyous ways. 

Let the Spirit blow, even through difficult and uncertain terrain.  Walk in hope, and be lifted up.

Shalom, 
Derek 

No comments: