Thursday, May 22, 2014

Festival Of Homiletics 2

I decided today that I needed an adventure, so I walked from my hotel to the conference site, wonderful walk, only a little more than 2.5 miles.  Course it also meant walking back.  But that was good too.  I should really do that more often.
 
Today I made the choice to go to the second venue.  The first two speakers at Central Lutheran were both ones who have voices I struggle to listen to.  Sorry, but that's the way it is.  Besides, Lillian Daniel was at Westminster Presbyterian.  So, off I went.  Lillian was joined by John Bell who did the liturgy for opening worship, wearing a powder blue jacket, pink shirt and aqua tie.  Those Glaswegians!  At least it wasn't paisley. Lillian preached on Noah's Ark and it was amazing.  I loved her depiction of the whole story with her usual sardonic wit.  But she astutely pointed out that the only words Noah speaks in the whole story were words of cursing his son who saw him in his drunken nakedness.  Kind of startling for someone who lives over 900 years.  But the thought that I need to dwell on a bit was a connection back to the Garden of Eden story - it made sense, trust me.  And that was in her comment "were they kicked out of the garden, or set free?"  Back to Noah, "were they rescued when the boat hit land or were they stranded?"  I'm going to have to sit with that one for a while.
 
She then lectured on "Who's Asking?" (Are we answering questions that nobody's asking?)  It was a continuation of her work with the SBNR group (spiritual but not religious) and also with the NONEs (those who answer the religious affiliation with none)  Part of her thesis is that we were taught to preach in a world where there weren't so many nones.  And that our relevance is suspect, especially when we define ourselves by what we don't believe instead of what we do believe.  And that the mainline has been reluctant to talk about what it is we believe, wanting to be as open as possible.  And we have also bought into a consumer mentality, saying that the church is here to meet your needs.  What about the church is to form you in the faith?  A somewhat sobering talk.
 
After a break, we came back for John Bell's lecture.  I love John, actually worked with him for a brief time, many years ago.  As liturgist he is exactly what I would like to see us emulate in our setting.  The hymns he taught were powerful, but unique and sometimes even startling.  I think we need more of him.  Unfortunately the lecture he gave was the same one he gave at CTS that a team from Aldersgate went to hear.  I remembered the stories, could have told them myself, and most of the thrust of the argument.  Which is agree with, by the way.  It was all about unleashing the imagination in preaching and worship.  Imagination has a bad rap in many people's minds, and John says we need to correct that assumption.  Amen.
 
After lunch (I went to a Potbelly's (along with most of downtown Minneapolis) and had a sandwich that I misheard a simple question and thought I was getting hot mustard, but instead was getting the nuclear option - jalapenos and some sauce that is designed to remove paint from cars, I think) I went to worship with Michael Slaughter from Ginghamsburg UMC, only to hear a sermon I heard at Conference on Our Life Together back in February.  Again a very relevant message, about being a missional church. Mike argues that our focus should not be on getting more people into the church, but getting church people out into the world.  Amen.
 
Then I went to a workshop on something called the narrative lectionary.  Rolf Jacobson teaches Old Testament at Luther Seminary in St Paul MN and he and some colleagues have created a new lectionary based on the fact that the Revised Common Lectionary does not present the flow of the Christian story in order, but pulls pieces and parts in no particular order.  He said that the thinking  for the RCL was based on the assumption that folks knew the story and the story was supported by the culture.  But since the Christian Narrative is not supported by the culture and folks no longer know the ebb and flow of the history of the people of God.  So a new telling of the story needs to be done.  They begin in September and go to the end of May and begin with Creation and end with Pentecost.  It is a four year cycle, two readings each Sunday with a designated preaching text.  I'm not sure what happens in the summer.  But my biggest question is what do we do with folks who don't attend every single week, and therefore still are missing the flow of the story.  But I do have some sympathy with the idea.  I have broken away from the lectionary anyway and so maybe am not straining against that cage like so many others.  But it is something to consider
 
Evening worship tonight was Rolf Jacobson preaching on Caught between Can't and Can't Not based on Psalm 137, which is a troublesome psalm to say the least.  A wide range of emotion and pain expressed, vengeance clearly proclaimed at the end.  A hard text to preach, I commended him for wrestling with it.  Who are we and whose are we, what is within us and what can transform us.  John Bell was liturgist, they certainly work him hard when he is here and rightly so!
 
A day of ups and downs, but I am certainly ready for more!
 
Love you,

Derek

No comments: