Saturday, June 16, 2012

Hi Dad

So, how come the big, buff football players all say “Hi mom” when the camera finds them on the sidelines and no one says Hi Dad?  Just wondering.

I know I said that I wasn’t going to do this bible study on the weekends when I wasn’t preaching, and I’m not preaching this week, and in a couple of weeks I’ll be gone on vacation, so I definitely won’t be doing it then, but here I am on this Saturday, stealing a couple of minutes on the computer to write a very brief bible study on the Sunday passage, or sort of at least - so what’s the deal?

Well, I decided I couldn’t just quit cold turkey.  I had to taper off.  And besides it is Father’s Day this weekend and one of my best readers is my dad, who also reads it to my mom.  So, I couldn’t just let it drop this time.  Hi Dad!

And besides the question that Chris chose to respond to this week is “How do we reconcile the God of the Old Testament?”  Now, I assumed that the questioner really was asking how do we reconcile the God of the Old Testament with the God of New Testament?  Or with the God that Jesus introduces to us. Not how can we get right with the God of the Old Testament.  Or to say “hi dad” or something like that.

Frankly, I’m excited to hear what Chris will tell us. Though I am puzzled by the scripture he chose.  Which is this one:

Revelation 22:13-21   I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."  14 Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they will have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by the gates.  15 Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and fornicators and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.  16 "It is I, Jesus, who sent my angel to you with this testimony for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."  17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let everyone who hears say, "Come." And let everyone who is thirsty come. Let anyone who wishes take the water of life as a gift.  18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book;  19 if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away that person's share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.  20 The one who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!  21 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all the saints. Amen.

I have some guesses, but I’ll try not to spoil things for those who would hear what Chris has to say.  So, let me just say this – Nowhere in the Old Testament or the New does God ask us to understand God.  Nor are we told to make excuses or to explain God to anyone else.  We are told to obey.  To follow.  And Jesus said those words really mean to love.  With our whole heart and soul and mind and strength.

And I’m relieved.  Don’t ask me to explain my dad either.  But I do and will always love him.

Shalom,
Derek

No comments: