Friday, May 9, 2008

Welcome to "The Eyes of a Fool"

Proverbs 17:24 reads "The discerning person looks to wisdom, but the eyes of a fool to the ends of the earth." Now, I realize that we are supposed to choose to be discerning persons and look to wisdom. This is a call seek a higher wisdom and not be satisfied with earthly thinking. OK, got it. And sure I want to think the higher thoughts from time to time.

Yet, I am fascinated by the world we live in. And the reason for my fascination is that I think God is fascinated by it too. At least God pops up here and there in surprisingly earthly places. So in order to discern this elusive presence, we have to develop the eyes of a fool.

I have always been intrigued by the character of the fool. Surprising wisdom can be found in the words of the Fool in Shakespeare's King Lear, for example, or the character Bottom in Midsummer Night's Dream. At times, what makes the fool foolish is the willingness to speak an uncomfortable truth. A fool speaks to reality, a fool names what is when everyone else wants to avoid it, or close their eyes.

I am a preacher, and as such, called to be such a fool. I am called to speak truth even when it is difficult to hear or acknowledge. And to speak truth in a day when truth is elusive at best, dangerous at worst, and risible most often is a task for a fool. But I take it willingly, even joyfully.

This space will be filled with musings and wonderings and even the sight of the ends of the earth. I write a weekly bible study and a bulletin editorial, some of which will be posted here. But there will also be other reflections and questions uinique to this space. I'm still learning how to see with the eyes of a fool. Come along and look with me. Who knows what we might find?

Welcome.

No comments: